The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lists!

Things that I do/expect now on a daily basis that I didn’t do in the States
1.       Pass a banana field on the way to Castries
2.       Look out at the Caribbean (I love it!)
3.       I’m an expert at taking a bath using a bucket and a cup! (We got water today so I don’t have to do this anymore)
4.       Hear comments walking down the street (a couple days ago I passed a boy about 12-14. He leaned over as I passed and whispered “Sexy.” After I passed him I just laughed!)
5.       See cruise ships (I had never seen one before. Yesterday there were four of them in the harbor)
6.       Find myself trying to learn another language
7.       See a white person and think “darn tourist” (yes, it happened already! I hate being mistaken as a tourist.)
8.       Try and figure out what school a child goes to based on their uniform
9.       Journal
10.   Almost cry when I hear rap/r&b music (it reminds me of home and my girls)
11.   Laugh when I hear old country music (they love it here!)
12.   Enjoy learning about politics (the prime minister can call the election anytime between now and March)
13.   Enjoy learning about culture/history/economics (this is a big one. I didn’t really care in the states, now it’s interesting) and the school system (I’m going to be working in one. I’ve found my best source of information is my 13 year old “cousin” here).
14.   Tell myself or someone else how much I love St. Lucia!

2 comments:

  1. Sara,

    I love that you are already annoyed with tourists!! Fantastic! How goes the language learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling a little. It helps when people around me actually talk in it. The priest this morning did and I picked up a little!

    ReplyDelete