The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Monday, November 7, 2011

November 28, 2011

The election has been called! Yesterday the Prime Minister announced that the election is going to be held November 28, 2011 (it had to be before March 2012).
Being here through election season I have learned a lot about parlimentry government. I learned that Prime Ministers are not elected. I have learned there are not elections every year (something I took for granted. While I've voted around 7 times, a person my age here has voted once.).
I am most excited that the election has been called because that means I can wear red for Christmas!! The political colors here are red and yellow (there is a third party that is green, but the two major parties are red and yellow). I have not been wearing these two colors since around August/September to avoid being labled as part of one party or the other (Peace Corps is nonpolitical). I have some really cute shirts that are these colors, so I'm really excited to be able to get them back out after the elections (even though I'll probably still wait a week or so after the elections to wear them).
So while it's elections tomorrow in the US, we have elections here at the end of the month. Happy Voting!

P.S. While usually I am EST, since daylight savings time took effect, I am one hour ahead because we don't observe daylight savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment