The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

And then it hit.

I don't think there is any other holiday that my family celebrates (that I have been gone for so far) like Thanksgiving. I think today was the first real time that it hit me that I'm away and I'm missing stuff. I was moody all week and it didn't really hit me until today what it was. I know that everyone back home is celebrating and I don't get to be with them. When I was at college, I could drive home and supprise them; I can't do that now. In order to get home, I have to fly. I miss stealing food from my mom, and sitting behind the counter talking to her. I miss chilling with my dad when he is driving my mom crazy (and talking about hockey with him)!! I miss sitting on my little sister and annoying her. I miss listening to the wisdom of my older sister. I miss just being with my younger sister. And of course I miss playing with my nephews (and I can't miss playing with my nieces because I've never gotten to play with them) and seeing my brother-in-laws. It's the family that I got used to seeing and now can't see that I miss the most. It's just one of those days. Alls I can say is December 17th. That's the day I fly home for Christmas.

Now don't get me wrong. I love my family here. My PC family is amazing. My host family I lived with during training I still talk to and love. My boyfriend, that thinks I'm going crazy this week because I've been moody and not myself but helps me get through it, I love dearly. And my friends that I have made here, who check on me, see how I'm doing, and who I love hanging out with, I feel very fortunate to have found. I am thankful for my life here, and I would not have changed my decision to be a PCV for anything, sometimes I just wish I could be two places at once.

2 comments: