The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Money!

This past week I went to St. Kitts for a couple of days. I realized that the value of money has really changed in my mind. While looking at souvenirs, which were priced in USD (US dollars), and having to pay (as I am currently paid) in EC (Eastern Caribbean), I realized how expensive things really are. Say you are walking down the street and see something for $5.00 USD, that same thing for me is $13.50, which might not be so bad; but take a look at a simple souvenir t-shirt for $20.00 USD. That would cost me $54.00! (Exchange $1.00 USD = $2.7 EC) While as an American traveling, that exchange rate is great! You’re like, “oh, my money is worth so much!” But as someone who lives, works and gets paid in EC, that conversion back is like, “oh no, that thing is so expensive there is no way I can afford that!” Take into mind that this is also on a PCV (peace corps volunteer) living allowance.

I’m not writing this to complain. I realized that when I was signing up for PC I was signing up to be a volunteer. I write this that you may remember and think of the local people when you are traveling. Be aware of the actual cost of things, and be aware of how much the USD is actually worth.
*Pictures coming soon...hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment