The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

New Definition of Failure


Being a PCV has taught me a lot. One of the things is about failure. Before PC I used to think everything I did had to be completely successful and perfect. Lessons had to be planned, kids had to sign up and come, and they had to learn exactly what the objectives were. Needless to say, I look at it a little differently.

Last year before the kids were going on summer break, I had a couple different ideas for summer activities: computer club, reading clubs, reading and math help. When time came for the kids to sign up, the computer clubs were packed (and I had to add extra) and no one signed up for any of the other activities.

Again last year we restarted up Girl Guides. At first the girls came regularly, but then it began to taper off, especially with Carnival activities. At the same time, the boys in the community were constantly bugging me as to when Boy Scouts would start. I didn’t want to leave the girls that did come to Girl Guides without anything, hence Boys and Girls Club aka Superstars Club.

My new definition of success is: did the kids have an activity they wanted (not necessarily the one I was planning on from the beginning), did they have fun, and did they learn something. I now tend to come up with projects in twos or threes and hope one succeeds. If an idea doesn’t come to fruition, it doesn’t mean it failed, just not want the kids wanted or needed!

1 comment: