The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Short Term Missions

I've never really been a fan of short term mission trips. That's not saying they don't do any good. I've just never really liked the concept. (Now my older sister met her husband on a short term mission trip and for that I'm glad!) Maybe I have a little too much of my father in me. As he has always said, and this is paraphrased, why not just send the money over, use local people to do the building projects, and then reach the local people by giving them jobs and ministering to them while they are working and how you treat them instead of asking someone else to pay for your vacation. This concept has only been strengthened while I've been living in St. Lucia.
Now you could say, why Sara, you're living in St. Lucia and working on tax payers dollers, how can you even say this? We're paying for you to be there. Notice, I did not say long term missions. I said short term. I'm here long term. One of Peace Corps Policies is that they don't place a volunteer in a place that a local could be employed in. If I wasn't here, no one would be assigned and getting paid to be doing the work I am doing.
The longer I am here the more I think it is important to understand the culture you are in. If you do go on a missions trip and preaching, ask the missionary or a local to go through your sermon with you to make sure it is sensitive to the culture you are going into. That it is applicable to that culture. Learn as much as you can about the culture you're going into.
I live in one of the poorest villages in the country. I've seen people here jump at the chance to work (there has been a lot of construction going on the last few days and people have been working hard). So, examine the reasons you're going on this trip. Would the money be better spent hiring local people? What are you going to do? Is it taking a job away from a local? Running camps is a great thing because what I find most is that we need voluntary manpower for activities for the kids.
All in all, just make sure you're doing more good than harm, building the community (both the one you're going into and the community of believers), and not just a good feeling for yourself.
Feel free to disagree and leave comments as to why :)

2 comments:

  1. I've heard Steve say some similar things. I appreciate hearing your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my only challenge to this is that 2 years really isn't long term either. in the grand scheme it's barely enough time to get your feet wet...before we know it we'll be done...

    ReplyDelete