The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

My how life has changed!

Before I get into how my life has changed I just want to give a shout out to Kelly Carr. Thanks for you comments! My blog is being crazy and not letting me post replies, so just know that I'm reading them and enjoy hearing from you. I also got an Echo church post card from Beth this week! Made my day on Friday!

One thing that I never owned or used in the US (as far as I can remember) is a grater. Now I have no clue what I would do without it. I sometimes even consider buying a second one because mine always needs washed. What do I use it for now that I didn't need it for before, you might ask. Well, first of all cheese. As my mom can tell you I love cheese! Grated cheese is so expensive (I've even stopped buying sliced cheese) so I use my grater for that. I grate garlic, tumeric (didn't even know what that was before I came here), carrots, and even green bananas (aka green figs- for veggie burgers). But my favorite thing to use the grater for is to make "local juice"! Today I grated sour five finngers (better known as "star fruit" in the states) and made juice with that! I've grated magoes for juice (and taken an allergy pill with it, but oh so good!) as well. How my kitchen life has changed.

When I would go shopping in the states I knew in general what good prices were for things (and if I didn't know I just called Mom!). I also knew what products were supposed to look like and could tell if they weren't good. Not so here. For the most part, people are great about helping me with the things I don't know. I feel like I can ask anyone in my village and even random people all over for help. Asking for help is something that I've had to learn. I like to know things and be seen as competent. Oh, how my life has changed.

I can look at my life in so many different aspects and see how it has changed. When did I ever thing I would actually want to learn a second language? When did I ever think I would be look at as a computer expert (oh I'm not even close!)? When did I think that I would some days struggle to even understand english? Or to remember what a band-aide is called (it's a plaster) or what nail polish is (it's cutex), and is it called a pier or jetty (oh it's a jetty, call it a pier no one will understand)? And when did I think that I would use the spanish I learned in high school to figure out what day and time something is on tv (some of the stations have all of the commercials in spanish)?

Oh yes, how life has changed and how I love it!

2 comments:

  1. Awww . . . thanks for the shout-out! I always enjoy reading your posts. It's so neat to gain a perspective about your life of service in St. Lucia. I appreciate you taking time to write for all of us back here to have a glimpse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my husband and I are returned PC Volunteers from Tonga (south pacific), and will be in St. Lucia at the end of July/beginning of August, would love to meet up with any PC volunteers there, or see their villages or schools. Let us know if anyone would be interested! Kate and Brett - katemarie28@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete