The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Food

Some things in life I have taken for granted. One of those is food. No matter where I’ve been I’ve never been hungry. While I know that in some places in the world people go hungry, I’ve never really been exposed to it. Schools in the states always have free and reduced lunch programs so kids get fed at school no matter what. This is not what I’ve seen here so far. Today I ate lunch with the kids. They have an hour lunch. Some kids bring their lunch, others go home for lunch, some students buy their lunch, and some students did not have lunch. The students who bought lunch at the school had to bring their own plate or container for lunch, also their own silverware. The students were sharing silverware because not all of them had it. The things that I took for granted just don’t exist here. To see kids not have food is hard for me. When I was first told that the school had a “feeding program” I thought it was a free lunch program. Turns out it means the school has a kitchen that provides food for those who pay for it. Providing food for all kids is something that I’m starting to be really passionate about. I did just find out that one of the secondary schools gives free lunches to those that need it but it is very limited. This is the best school on the island and they don’t want smart kids not to be able to go there because of money.

1 comment: