The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

I'm trying...

After a year of being in St. Lucia, there is still something I haven't gotten used to. It's not the high prices of certain foods I like (1 lb of strawberries for over $20), or not seeing food that I do like (snow peas I've only found once in a whole food like store in the north). But as you might have guessed, it does have something to do with food! I have not been able to get used to the fact that some weeks (or months) I can find things, such as stick of butter, sour cream wheat germ, and honey, and other week (or for several months) it's not available at any of the 3 grocery stores I check! I think of sticks of butter as a staple because I love to bake and it makes it so much easier to measure. I know that sour cream is not considered an essential, but to see it once in a while just drives me crazy because I expect to always find it! However, I deal with it and eat my tacos without sour cream and measure out my butter using my measuring spoons. Sometimes, I think the grocery store just likes to tease me and let me get used to things and then pull it away!

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried Super J that is past Choc Beach in the tourist area? I always found many of the things you talk about there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I don't generally get that far up north. I'd been able to find this stuff at the Super J on the Boulivard and I've been checking the one at the PC office and the waterfront one. They're things that I can live without. Just throws me off when I get used to a store having something and then they stop carrying it for a while! But Thanks! If I really need it I'll check up there!

      Delete
  2. Haha I get it! I lived in Micoud Village and almost never went to a market. Just learned to hunt and gather in my village. Nice to hear from you. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete