The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Friday, October 14, 2011

2nd grade, football, computer club!

2nd grade, football and computer club. You might wonder what all three of these have in common. My crazy week!
Tuesdays I'm at the infant school school (for the school day, I have computer club at the primary school in the evening). I'm supposed to be doing a computer class for their kids, but since they're still working on getting their computers set up, I haven't been staying. This week both of their grade 2 teachers called in sick, so the principal asked if I would take over one of the classes (she later informed me it was an all boys class). I said sure, and thus started my day which reminded my why my father does not have all the answers to my life. (Dear Dad, I am not cut out to be a teacher no matter how much you think so.) Those boys were crazy and wouldn't listen to anything I said. We accomplished a couple things though! Some of the students now understand how to "borrow" when doing double didget subtraction, and they wrote some sentences about a picture I drew! All that from 9-2:30!!
Thursday we had a football match in the afternoon. The school is broken up into 4 houses that play sports and compete against each other. So we had two different games. I have never seen anyone so excited about football! The students were cheering, running around, and having a lot of fun! The village came out and watched. They were cheering for thier favorite team as well! It was more excitment than I ever saw at a football game before (and my sister made it to state finals!). The second game when to shoot outs. There was soooo much pressure put on these students. There were people lined up around the 18 (and kept coming closer and closer to the goal!). Next week is the finals! I can't wait!
Computer club is in it's fourth week! It's going great! The kids are really excited about it (they love playing games on the computers). I have about 50 kids that come to the club (the school has about 180 kids)! Needless to say it's crazy!! But I love it!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,I read your articles frequently and always find them interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Greetings from Colombia

    http://alvarogomezcastro.over-blog.es

    ReplyDelete