The thoughts and opinions of this blog do not reflect that of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Monday, September 12, 2011

You did what!?!

So far in Peace Corps I've done several things I would have never imagined. Some crazy, some just crazy to me...enjoy!

1. Get my immunizations in the middle of the street...with everyone watching! The dr was in a rush, I said it was ok, so I got two shots (flu and my second hep A) in the middle of the street. Far cry from mom having to trick me into getting them in 7th grade!

2.Hich hike. I've always done it safely (with someone else) and usually taken rides from people I know. I've found it's really fun to ride in the back of a truck!

3.Helped get a magazine published. This one is still in progress. I got an email shortly after I swore in about the Serious Ting which is the Peace Corps Eastern Caribbean magazine, so I signed up to help however needed. So not only do I have a story in it, I helped edit some of the articles in the magazine, and I got bids, approved the copy, and am picking the magazines sometime this week!

4.Asked for directions and learned to speak up. I've never been one to ask questions. Ever. I hate asking for directions or showing that I don't know something (I think it's the Faison in me). Almost daily I have to ask where something is, ask for help, learn something new, or speak up and tell the bus to stop (yes mom, I've progessed from kindergarten when I missed my stop home and didn't tell anyone).

5. Learned to laugh at myself. I think this one is key. I always took myself too serious and never learned to laugh at mistakes I made. I always just got embarassed. While I still get embarassed, I've learned to laugh at mistakes and take them as learning experiences.

I know that there are more things that I've done that have been "crazy" and I will do many more while I'm here. I'm learning and growing every day. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment